You can no longer blame bad sleep and annoying children on your low energy levels; several bad habits may be to blame. On Good Morning America, experts came up with a list of habits that cause us to be tired, lazy shlubs. If you’re one of the many Americans who has the energy of a turtle, here’s a list of do’s and don’ts that will help you perk up without drinking 500 cups of coffee.
9. Exercise! Sure, there are days that I would rather watch paint dry than try to exercise, but pounding it out at the gym increases energy levels and keeps pep in your step throughout the day.
8. Drink more water. Water makes me yawn, but even as little as two percent water loss causes dehydration. This not only causes an energy lag, but general bitchiness as well. Get at least two liters a day to stay hydrated. Coffee, tea and booze do not count towards water intake. (Dammit).
7. Get enough iron. This mineral is not just for women who are preggers. A lack of iron causes you to be sluggish and weak; not a good look. Get it by eating enough eggs, lean meat, and green vegetables.
6. Eat breakfast. I don’t know about you, but I am highly unpleasant when I don’t eat first thing in the morning. To avoid irritability and falling asleep before lunch, get a solid, healthy breakfast when you wake up.
And here are a few of the don’ts.
5. Don’t be a drama queen. If you’re afraid of your own shadow, or you have a small heart attack when your boss calls you to a meeting, lighten the hell up! People who make mountains out of molehills waste all of their energy on worrying. These types of people are not only whack jobs, but tired whack jobs. Don’t sweat the small stuff, dude.
4. You’re not perfect, and you never will be. #truthhurts. Striving to be perfect is tiring, stupid and unattainable. Practice time management, and you will put time towards projects that matter. Sweating every detail will not only drain you of energy, but give you early wrinkles.
3. Don’t touch the Doritos.If you find yourself gorging on junk food at lunch, you’ll find yourself rather sluggish soon after. This goes for any food high in fat, sugar and lard. If you eat a healthy lunch, such as a chicken salad with a piece of fruit, you’ll be more likely to have energy and less likely to rip someone’s head off.
2. Clean up your space. If your office looks like Hurricane Katrina came by, you’re likely to be scatter-brained as well. Looking at a hot mess of a desk all day is overwhelming and tiring. This can only lead to sleepy-head status in a short amount of time. To avoid the scatter-brains, slowly reorganize your work space and remove the clutter. Your brain will thank you.
1. Say “no!” And mean it! This one is my fave. Constantly trying to please everyone is not only annoying, but it may cause resentfulness and anger overtime. It’s time to start being a big bitch and saying NO when you don’t want to do something. Saying no is highly entertaining and energizing!